Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Don't Usually Do This

Decorate, that is. It's strictly a seasonal thing for me and while I don't usually like stuff cluttering up my mantle, I get it all dressed up for Fall and Christmas.
From the garden...
...to the kitchen...
...to the table, all in the same morning. I have to say, growing and roasting your own pumpkin and then making pie with it makes it taste a thousand times better. The pumpkin tastes light, creamy and nutty, with none of that metalic canned flavor. I've made lots of pies from canned pumpkin and will probably make lots more of them when my own pumpkins are gone, but for me this pie sets the bar for what pumpkin pie should be. The smell of roasting pumpkin is pretty amazing; warm, buttery and rich. As opposed to the smell of a freshly-opened can o' pumpkin, which has sometimes prompted Aaron to ask if the baby has a dirty diaper. Somehow, both of our boys have a love of pumpkin pie. I cannot remember liking it as a child and it doesn't really strike me as a kid type of dessert, but they put this stuff away like nobody's business. When we make our own and I know exactly what's in it, I even let them have it for breakfast. I'd do it just for the flavor factor, but I also love what growing our own food has taught the boys about being good stewards. They are legitimately concerned about how we treat what we usually think of as our lowliest commodity, or something we wipe off of our feet and clean off of our hands before we eat: dirt. It's important stuff. The saying goes "You are what you eat," but it's actually a little further back than that: you are what your food ate. In the case of fruits and vegetables, that means the dirt. It's kind of funny to think about keeping dirt "clean," but I've thought about it a lot since having kids. For one thing, they eat a lot of it directly. Straight, no chaser. Okay maybe some rocks. But since we've started to do so much gardening, the quality of our dirt is a big deal to me. I don't want crap in there because eventually I'm going to feed what comes out of there to my kids. I think if everyone grew their own food, even just one or two vegetables, it would radically change the way we think about pollution.

No comments: