Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In Which I Jog My Way Through Manhattan

So far, Manhattan is a complete success. In a departure from my usual habit when away from my kids, I'm actually sleeping well which makes everything better. Last night I slept especially deeply, although it took me a while to fall asleep after my little adventure on the subway...
Kayleigh had to meet a client last night, so I made plans to have dinner with Josh(we grew up next door to each other and now he lives in New York). I successfully navigated my way uptown and found the kosher restaurant Josh picked without any trouble. Getting home, however, was another story. Josh verified that my directions were accurate, so I felt confident I could manage even in the dark, when Manhattan becomes a different creature. It was also pouring rain and as a proud Seattle child I refused all offers of an umbrella. I had to make one transfer on my way back, so I made sure I got off at the right stop, walked to the correct platform and then waited for the B train which would take me to within two blocks of Kayleigh's apartment. I waited. And waited. The A and D trains came and left frequently, but no B train appeared. I checked the schedule to make sure there were no notices about the B train not running. I checked the schedule to make sure the B train did, in fact, run on weeknights. I double-checked what Google maps told me about where to transfer to the B train, which persisted in not showing up. After about 45 minutes, I realized it wasn't coming(tip for future subway experiences: if your train doesn't come in 8 minutes or less, it isn't coming). I checked to see which trains would take me where I wanted to go and plotted a different course home, then got on the next D train that showed up which claimed it would stop at the same station the B train was supposed to. At the next stop I panicked that I'd got on going the wrong direction and got off again and checked(note to NYC Transit: maps INSIDE the train would be helpful). The direction had been the right one, so I waited for another train. No D trains appeared. It seemed that any train I waited for was doomed never to materialize, so I changed routes again and hopped on the first F train that showed up. This finally worked, but resulted in emerging from the subway oriented in a different direction than I was used to. It was now about 12:15, pitch black and raining hard. It seemed like a bad plan to be hanging around on the sidewalk just then, so I decided the best strategy was to make a run for it. I figured if anyone was going to mug me, they might be discouraged by having to catch me first. My plan worked beautifully and I shot along the Manhattan sidewalk tearing my way through puddles and jaywalking like a native until I realized I was cruising along in the wrong direction. I reversed my course as casually as I could and shot down a dark side street which looked sketchy but actually took me where I wanted to go. I finally found myself on the brightly-lit street full of shops and late-night dog-walkers where Kayleigh lives, and was grateful that Kayleigh had thoughtfully given me keys to her apartment. She had to teach early this morning, so she had been passed out in bed since 10:30. Which was about two hours before I arrived home in a puddle of sodden glory.
I said a prayer of thanks to St. Christopher, put the kettle on and called Aaron to share my adventures. When I finally collapsed into bed beside Kayleigh I was so tired that I fell asleep no problem, and remained dead to the world until Kayleigh came back from teaching and woke me up for coffee. At 11 a.m.
On today's schedule: a lobster roll from Pearl Oyster Bar, Core Fusion Sport at 3:00, grocery shopping for dinner in preparation for my friend Iain's arrival from Boston, and not getting lost. Which might require some luck because I'm supposed to meet Kayleigh on the upper west side. And it's raining.

No comments: