Friday, September 25, 2009

Don't Blink

I love, love this picture of Matteas. It is so iconic of his personality; a blond, joyful comet of energy blurring past. I think that no matter how old he gets or how he changes, I will always remember him this way.
Jack models his new glasses. Right after we got these we found out we needed to change his prescription, so he will be modeling more new glasses soon.
In these days of fleeting sunshine and active boys, I find I have to remind myself to hold still, take a breath and let it all sink in. I don't want to forget. I want to remember what the boys were like this summer, all the things we did and all the ways we grew. Pictures help. So does writing. I've taken to keeping a wipe-off board up on the fridge so that when one of them says or does something funny I can write it down immediately. When the board gets full I transfer what I wrote into a journal I keep for them, then wipe the board off and start again. For right now, as in right this very minute, we are going to head outside and pick our very first ripe sugar pie pumpkin. We will roast it and make a pumpkin pie with it to welcome Fall, to bid farewell to Summer, and to savor a little bit of the magic we made as we leave behind one season and head into the next.

No comments: