Monday, October 12, 2009

Canadian Bacon

We spent the weekend in Canada. Aaron's cousin Amanda got married on Saturday, so we drove up to Vancouver Friday afternoon and enjoyed festivities all weekend(Taking pictures at the wedding made me realize that I would hate to be a professional photographer; I suck at getting formal moments and much prefer the candid shots of the everyday.). The boys were amazing on the drive; they both took little naps but were awake for the majority of the three-hour drive and really cheerful for most of it. We got into Vancouver just in time to hit some fantastic rush-hour traffic and the last leg of the drive got a little tedious, but I packed lots of books so I read for as long as I could without getting carsick. When we finally arrived at our hotel the boys were ready to run a marathon they were so pent up; fortunately, just outside of our room was a big open courtyard which was an ideal spot for working out excess energy. There was a little fish pond which Matteas was continually trying to climb into; he's always had a love of fish and I think he was under the impression that all that driving bad been for the sole purpose of uniting him with the little orange fish in the courtyard fountain. In his opinion, it was worth it. Aunt Sandy was ridiculously thoughtful. Lots of relatives converged on the hotel in Vancouver from various parts of Canada and the U.S. and she made personalized gift bags for every single child there, which were then hand-delivered by the older kids during the reception so the little ones had something to do during the toasts. She also made enough food to feed an army for a week, including homemade pumpkin pies. Who makes pies in the middle of wedding craziness? Aunt Sandy does. The boys both napped after the wedding, so we took them to the beach so they'd still be tired for bed(someday). When we got back, Sonia took the boys and we went out. The guy in the green sweater is Aaron's cousin Avi, who I've actually met once before but he doesn't remember. The hot blond next to him is his wife Wendy, who I met for the first time that weekend. The five of us went out for dinner and then hung out at the hotel until the wee hours, which resulted in me getting very little sleep but was totally worth it. Which brings me to my next point: You(Canadian cousins) need to start blogs, or at least e-mail me. That way when we see each other every three years for a wedding or a funeral, I'll know what you've been doing out in the frozen prairies. Every time we see you guys I wish we lived closer to each other, but until you guys decide to stop freezing your ass off while pursuing brilliant academic careers far away from your family blogging will have to do. And now, time to make soup. Aaron has had a cold for about a week and after missing out on a lot of sleep this weekend I finally have it. The boys(also sick) are watching cartoons and I'm drinking pumpkin spice tea and debating if it's really worth the energy to do the dishes. I'm thinking it would be a much better use of my time if I just crawled back into the the flannel sheets and passed out until I can breathe through my nose again, but that would hardly be responsible parenting. Also, I have to mention how pleased I am about Jack's discriminating palate: he noted while munching on French fries that "this ketchup tastes like sugar." Canadian ketchup is sweeter than American ketchup. It was a proud moment for me :)

No comments: