Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Miracle or Placebo?

So I'm not sure what's working: the bracelets, the B6, or the crackers, but something worked because I feel fabulous today. I felt a little queasy when I first woke up, but I had some crackers(actually that's a lie; they were dry Kix because I forgot to buy crackers) by the bed so I ate some and then lay there for 20 minutes or so before I got up. I have a pretty bad cold right now, so it's hard to tell what's the cold and what's from pregnancy, but I sat on the couch and drank some orange juice and just took things slow. About an hour after I got up I had a waffle and some milk, and since then I've felt almost completely normal. I read a review of the acupressure bracelets and one study suggested that their success in pregnant women was probably a placebo effect, but I don't really care because I don't feel nauseous anymore. I'm a little nervous that I'm celebrating prematurely and maybe in the evening I'll feel yucky again, but I really hope not.

2 comments:

Irina S. said...

When I was pregnant with Alex, Thea got me these lollipops that are made especially for pregnant women and are supposed to help with nausea. I kept them on my bedside table and licked one whenever I felt a little sick. I think they helped a little. They had very interesting flavours, like lavander and vanilla (Cecilia tried to steal a couple but didn't like them). They are being sold at Motherhood Maternity.

Irina S. said...

...as for that bracelet, I personally don't believe it helps. But if you think it helps you then wear it. Even a placebo effect is better than nothing :)