Saturday, January 13, 2007

Four Kinds of Cereal and Spanish Fish

I found out a week ago that I'm pregnant; I'm barely four weeks along and I'm already feeling really queasy, so last night I went to the gym(which really helps) and then to the store to stock up on things I feel like eating. The list is pretty short: cereal and fruit. But lots of different kinds of both. Lunch and dinner-type foods are really grossing me out right now. I had some queasiness with Jack, but not this early on and never this bad. I'm wondering if this baby is a girl, or if the hormones are just affecting me differently this time around. Anybody have any hot tips for morning sickness? Actually, it's not really morning sickness; more like any-random-time sickness. I tried crystallized ginger but don't like the taste and it didn't really seem to help, so now I'm trying vitamin B6 supplements and those motion-sickness acupressure bracelets. I can't tell if they're working or if I just feel better because it's evening. Irina and Briana both suggest keeping crackers by the bed, which is the only thing I haven't tried yet so I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. For Christmas, Aaron Shane and Albert bought me, Briana and Anna each a gift certificate for a cooking class. The class was at a Spanish restaurant called The Harvest Vine, where Anna used to be a waitress. Chef Josef taught us how to make three Spanish seafood dishes and miraculously I didn't feel nauseous. I had a bunch of supplies in my bag just in case, like Jolly Rancher candies, Sweet Tarts, tortilla chips, fruit leather, a Granny Smith apple, citrus flavored gum and lemon-lime talking rain. I got up early and went for a walk in the snow hoping it would help to get some exercise before experiencing the aroma of cooking fish, and I guess it did because I felt great all through the class. It was really fun, but I have no tolerance for snootiness. They served us really yummy bread, but without any oil or butter. Apparently, it is not the Basque tradition to butter one's bread while partaking of "authentic" Spanish food from the Basque region of Spain. The tradition is to eat plain bread with nothing fun on it. I fully support unique culinary traditions, but only if they taste good. Everything was pretty tasty, but it would have been even better if I'd had some butter. I asked for some, and was informed that the Chef hopes I die of a heart attack. Harsh words coming from such a chubby man. I've been drawing chubby pictures of him as revenge, and also eating butter. Eating what I want is my tradition.

No comments: