Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The first weekend in December, Aaron took me on a three-day skiing trip to Whistler, Canada. We left Jack with his Grandma so it was just the two of us. I felt really anxious about leaving Jack overnight, but we called and checked on him and he had a great time snuggling in his Grandma's bed and doing lots of fun things during the day. We also had a great time, to say the least. Aaron taught me how to ski and I didn't totally suck at it, although I got very tired towards the end. Aaron also had to teach me how to ride the chair lift, which went alright for the most part except once I missed the chair and had to ride up with some nice Chinese guys while Aaron looked back at me from the chair ahead. That was really the only trouble spot though, and I was grateful not to have broken anything. I really liked skiing and Aaron promised to take me again. It was so great to lie in bed together in the morning and not have to get up to change diapers and make bottles. We walked around Whistler village together, went out to dinner and had long talks over several bottles of wine, and spent lots of time nursing sore muscles in the hot tub. We were gone for three days and two nights, which I think is the perfect amount of time to be gone because it was long enough to enjoy it but not so long that I missed Jack too much to have a good time. When we got to Aaron's parent's to pick him up he was pretty happy to see us, he was in the bathtub when I went in to say hello. He looked at me and smiled, then pressed his face against mine while holding my hands and said "Mama" very softly, like he had every confidence in the world that I was coming back. It was an amazing trip.

1 comment:

Irina S. said...

Whistler is beautiful and the perfect place for your first skying experience. We went there when Teddy was 1 and he stayed in the day-care there during the day while we were skying. I took skying lessons though. Wouldn't trust my husband to teach me. I'm so glad you guys had some fun time just by yourselves. It's important to do that every once in a while, it strengthens the marriage.
Irina