Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Advent

Noah's Ark
Serpent wrapped around an apple. The large bulges on the right are the serpent's eyes. The very picture of temptation.
Every year Christmas seems to come and go in a rush of relatives, friends, dinners and parties, and every year I resolve that next year, I will find a way to make it last. A hunger that I feel goes unmet each year is that I'm never prepared, but somehow Christmas seems to pounce on me when I'm least ready and I find it extraordinarily difficult to disengage from all the busyness and craziness and just be present. Every year, I also resolve that we are going to do our Advent calendar, light candles, and hang ornaments on the Jesse Tree. It never happens, and part of the problem is that we have no Jesse Tree ornaments. Growing up, my family went through several sets; we kids were kind of hard on them. One year my mom bought a bunch of Fimo and had us all make our favorites, and to my knowledge it is still the finest collection of ornaments ever made. Istvan was about four at the time, and his baby Jesus in a manger is to die for. Jack and I started working on our own collection yesterday, and hopefully we'll have enough finished to start hanging them on December 1st. Anyone have any other good ideas for Christmas preparation?

No comments: