Monday, March 22, 2010

Sprung

I am really, really excited about this picture. Not just because the boys are being so cute(they were being a choo-choo train, and yes they are each wearing half of the same set of pajamas), but because all of Jack's skin is smooth and clear. Look closely at the skin on his ribcage. A month ago he looked like he had leprosy. His skin was rough, cracked, peeling, and bright red. I was on the verge of taking him to a dermatologist, but I'm tired of going to the doctor and leaving with less information than I could find on my own. The last time I went to our local clinic, the practitioner left the room to Google. So I decided to try my own remedy, and since wheat allergies run in our family that was my first choice. As you can see, it worked beautifully. I think the eczema bothered Jack more than he realized. He never really complained about it while it was there, but now that it's gone he avoids wheat very carefully. At Grandpa Caseri's funeral he was offered a piece of cake, and he politely(and a little tearfully) informed the nice ladies that "I can't have wheat." I bought him a special wheat-free cookie later to reward him for making such brave choices. I told him that he may eat wheat if he chooses, but that it will bother his eczema. He has done his own policing to an impressive degree. I'm kind of grateful for the whole ordeal; our family is eating healthier and Jack has really matured. He is learning early on a lesson most Americans never deal with: what he puts in his body has an effect on how he feels. He's so pleased about his skin healing, and I'm so proud of how he's handled everything. I could tell that it was improving, but the degree to which it's healed feels like a miracle. On a side note, it's crazy how strongly the American diet is based on wheat. A friend from church is allergic to wheat and corn; do you have any idea how many foods that rules out? Did you know that the wax on the fruits and vegetables in the produce section is made from corn? Jack has been eagerly awaiting the first day of Spring for some time now. He'd ask about it like he was waiting for Christmas, and he was so excited when I told him that it was finally here. It worked out nicely that it happened to be nearly 70 degrees that day, and we spent all of it outside. On Sunday, Jack and I went to Sky Nursery and bought some plants, seeds, and some kid-sized hoes. They were only $8 so I'm curious how long they'll last, but they've kept the boys busy all day so far.
We put some pansies in containers by the front door to spruce things up a little.
I can't wait to plant this stuff. And yes, two types of radish and three types of cucumber really are necessary. This is just the beginning, actually; I still need to get all kinds of lettuce seeds, and some squash and tomato starts.
The boys can't wait either; they've been cultivating the soil for me to help prepare the garden.
This is what our backyard looks like right now. Last year this patch was only about 5' x 10'. This year I want it about twice that size. It's a great family activity; I turn over shovel-fulls of dirt, and the boys rush in to see what kind of bugs and worms I've unearthed. Today I found a couple of disgusting-looking grubs that were the size of my thumb. They looked like aliens. I'm not very squeamish for a girl, but I was grossed out. There was something oddly menacing about knowing that there were horrible-looking fat grubs just lying there. Their stillness added to the grossness somehow.
I don't know if I will ever get over Matteas and his love affair with "wormies." He can't say his r's, and the way he pronounces the word kills me. He's thrilled when he sees one inching its way through the dirt. He rushed over and very gently picks it up, then whispers sweet nothings to it: "Don't worry Little Wormy, I will keep you safe. Do you want me to help you find you family, Little Wormy?" He collects them all day in that cup, then releases them into the wild before we go inside for the evening. He's able to part with them because I told him they would die if he brought them into the house, and because he finds enormous satisfation in setting them all free together. Wormy togetherness will take the edge off the sting of being separated from their new friend, Matteas.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

ahhh..very cute. And I know the family you're talkin' about. I don't know how they manage to eat anything. And more importantly, how they are so upbeat about it! I thought of her the other day when I saw a delicious torte that said it was gluten free; I was going to get it for her but then I saw it had corn in it :( We could never go wheat free- you may or may not know how Mike eats...:) But so far no one reacts badly to it so that's a relief! We love fruits and veggies though, and especially during the summer its great to feast on them. Happy gardening! One day we will have a house and I will have a garden, too. But for now I suppose I will just admire yours :)

Tirzah said...

I know, the corn AND wheat allergy just seems too cruel. It helps though to be a whole foods cook; you just have to make ALL your own stuff. I didn't buy a lot of pre-made things to begin with, but wheat and corn hide in a lot of spice mixes.

You and Lou should come up and help us find wormies. It's kind of a drive, but I'm sure the kids would have a blast :)

Oh, I know how Mike eats. I remember thinking Kathy was crazy for driving to QFC every night to buy the twins chicken tenders when she'd already made a beautiful dinner. Matteas is kind of picky, so I appreciate the "chicken tenders or nothing" approach now.