Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Evolution

Our garden was a pretty good success this year with the exception of the fact that we didn't get one single ripe tomato. Not one. Not a hint of a blush of red anywhere. Our plant got huge and produced tons of tomatoes, they just stayed green. Determined not to let all my personally-grown tomatoes go to waste, I did a little research and found a recipe for roasted green tomato salsa. I sliced the tomatoes in half, quartered two onions, and left two jalapeƱos whole. I drizzled them with olive oil, salt and pepper, then roasted them on 400 for 25 minutes. I have to say they were not as pretty coming out as they were going in, but the whole house smelled fantastic. I began peeling, coring and chopping the tomatoes. It was taking forever, and I had limited time because Matteas was napping and Jack was at school(which is the best thing that ever happened. More on that later). Suddenly I remember that I actually own a food processor(thank you Sonia). Mere minutes later, all my chopping was done. In a large pot I cooked six cloves of garlic in a little olive oil, then added all my chopped vegetables(although I only used one whole jalapeƱo and I think it's the perfect amount of heat) along with 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice and 3/4 cup white vinegar, two cans of diced green chillies, 1 tsp. ground cumin and 1 Tb. dried oregano. I brought it all to a boil, then ladled it into hot jars. I've never canned before, but I think it worked. I set the filled jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes and the tops seem to have sealed. I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks when I have a cupboard full of rotten salsa. I left one jar fresh and added some fresh chopped cilantro, then sampled some with tortilla chips. I may be biased because of my personal investment, but I have to say it was pretty flippin' amazing. I'm currently roasting a chicken which I plan on shredding for tacos tonight, topped with fresh cilantro, black beans, grated pepper Jack, sour cream and my very own green tomato salsa.

3 comments:

Briana nanimom@outlook.com said...

And you didn't invite us over for dinner why?

Tirzah said...

Because I'd already had you over that morning for babysitting, during which I made buttermilk cupcakes from scratch with six children. Also, I wore a white shirt the entire day and kept it white. It was just that kind of day...

Irina S. said...

Maybe you should have waited a little longer for the tomatoes to ripen but I guess with the weather turning cold that might not have happened. We had a late tomato season too this year. We thought they would never ripen but eventually they did throughout the last couple of weeks.We have plenty to eat and made some tomato sauce too (we have quite a lot in the freezer). Some of our zucchinis also got huge and we just kept them as decor for our outside table for a while.
In Romania we eat green tomatoes (a small kind) pickled. I love them.
Good job on that salsa. I'm glad you had some peace and quiet to work on it.