Monday, September 8, 2008

Shman Trip

Well, we survived. On Thursday morning, Aaron took off with Albert, Tristan, Trevor and Sam for their anual(except for last year due to Matteas' birth) Man Trip. In years past they've gone camping, but this year they stayed in a plush house by the beach and went wine tasting. They were gone for four days, so the boys and I packed up and headed over to Anna's to keep each other company in the absence of our husbands. It got pretty crazy at times, but we made it through the weekend without any major mishaps. Matteas got into(literally, he got in it) the litter box once which was pretty offensive and Jack pooped in the yard(later that same day), but fecal matter aside it was a pretty good time. Still, four days is a long time to take care of a bunch of kids without relief, so when Aaron came home from work early today I went out to do some restorative shopping. I usually don't find much at our local Goodwill, but today the used goods gods smiled on my tattered little heart and filled it with joy via this chair. And that red quilted blanket. And that velvet pillow. The entire ensemble cost a grand total of $26. I'm not sure where the chair was made, but it is in really excellent condition. The back is a little worn at the top, but that's it; no stains, no holes, no tears, no animal hair, no weird smell. And it's comfortable, and is the exact shade of brown in the living room rug(which I actually rolled up, but the chair and rug may yet find each other one day and then they'll match beautifully). I also found a beautiful black trench coat that fits me like a glove, so now when I put on a coat over a nice outfit I won't spoil the effect. We took the kids to the park every day; a change of scenery was nice for everyone. This is Gabriella. The Crew. The two dark-haired kids are Kyle and Lisa, who live next door to Albert and Anna. I call this, The Best Idea I've Ever Had. I used to just call it Mexican Lasagna, but that was before this weekend. It is a glorious thing made with taco meat, stewed tomatoes, corn, black beans, onion, cheese, sour cream, green chillies, corn tortillas and green onions. I put it together on Thursday, then on Saturday we took the kids to the park for two hours during that special time of the evening the precedes dinner when all children seem to meltdown and are unable to function cheerfully. After two hours, they were absolutely filthy. We took them home and tossed them all in the bath while my Best Idea warmed and melted in the oven. By the time the kids were clean and dressed, dinner was ready and we'd sullied not one single dish in the undertaking. The kids proceeded to eat almost the entire pan. Bedtime that night ranked pretty high on my list of Ultra Satisfying Experiences; it was a great feeling to put to bed clean, well-fed played-out babies. Albert and Anna have several fruit trees in their back yard, which makes Matteas very happy. He just crawls around and helps himself to his favorites. Jack and Talia wanted flashlights to explore the backyard after dark, but since there were none to be found I gave them lanterns. Talia heard me looking for matches, then trotted off to the garage and came back with a blow torch. "This makes fire," she offered. I think next year the guys have to take her on the Man Trip and let her show them how it's done.

No comments: