Monday, July 14, 2008

Project

Recently, I decided to visit a chiropractor. I've had pretty bad sciatica since I was 17, and it occurred to me that if/when I am pregnant in the future I should do something about it, because towards the end with Matteas some days I couldn't walk. I have always been skeptical of chiropractors, most likely on account of my mother. She cannot stand the sound of bones being popped or cracked, and once she actually hit a friend of my sister's for cracking his knuckles in her presence(she warned him first). I am wary of anyone who does that sort of thing as a profession, and on a much larger scale than just knuckles. Plus most people I know who see a chiropractor seem to go really often, which leads me to believe that the treatment isn't working. I decided to try the place above the birth center where I delivered Matteas. They're called Health First Chiropractic, and they have a pretty different approach. They never bend, pop, twist, or crack any part of the spine. They recommend a maximum of six weeks of treatment. They use the body's natural alignment reflexes to realign the spine from the top down. I had my first adjustment today. The actual adjustment took less than a second, but I can tell that something has moved because the entire left side of my neck is really sore. I'm still a little skeptical, but I don't know what else to try at this point. A fun piece of information: I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to medical facts about my own body and have always been fascinated by my own x-rays and such. I find it really interesting to know what's going on inside of something, especially myself. So I was tickled when the doctor told me(after asking me if I'd ever been a gymnast) that despite one hip pulling higher than the other my body still manages to distribute my weight perfectly evenly. I find it incredibly fascinating that my brain knows how to tell my body to do this. Bodies are cool. This is why I love going to see the midwives(I stopped by to take them some flowers and announce that I was not pregnant); they make you feel cool just for having a body that does things a body ought to do, like grow a baby. Seriously, you walk into the birth center and you can literally feel your reproductive organs stand a little prouder because they sense they are in a place that holds them in high regard. You can't help but be a little in awe of yourself and your functions after working with the midwives. I have a uterus: I am amazing. And now I have a uterus and a chiropractor, so I'm on the verge of taking over the world. Or at least being able to load the dishwasher without sending shooting pains down my right leg, which is good too.

No comments: