Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nordstrom's, Shoes and Makeup

The other day I was cleaning the kitchen and Aaron was working on the laptop when suddenly he announced: "I think you should buy yourself an expensive pair of shoes." Not being an idiot, I stayed calm and said, "Okay." Aaron has rarely commented on my shoes, and I have rarely bought any. The last two pairs of shoes I bought were running shoes, and I recently threw away a pair I bought about six years ago for $5 from Payless. The little re shoes below were $8, also from Payless, also six years old. Last summer I splurged and bought a $20 pair of reef sandals. As a wife I have many flaws, but spending too much money on shoes isn't one of them. So feeling quite giddy, I went to Nordstrom and tried on whatever I wanted. Unfortunately they didn't have my size or the color I wanted in the shoe I wanted, so I ordered them online and they arrived today. I've always gravitated towards chunkier(some would say unfeminine) shoes, but I'm quite in love with my red Mary Jane's. Tragically I ordered one size too small, so I called customer service where I spoke with an extremely competent woman who had a new pair on their way to me in about 90 seconds. While I was out shoe shopping I decided to invest in some big girl makeup. A few weeks ago Jack got into my meager makeup bag and emptied most of the contents which, like my shoes, were about six years old. And from Bartel's. I've never actually purchased makeup from a department store, so I had a good time letting a very pretty gay boy show me different creams and lipsticks. I realized after I got home why I don't wear makeup; I picked up Matteas to kiss him hello and he promptly latched onto my face and gave my chin a good slobbering. Also, I'm allergic to mascara which is some of the funnest makeup to wear anyway. I can get away with wearing it once or twice a year, but it makes my eyes itch after an hour or two. I decided to focus on skin care rather than makeup and bought some really delicious moisturizer, then got a bunch of makeup for free in a cute little polka-dot bag. It was a very girly day for me, but I think I've inherited my mother's aversion to makeup. My daily cosmetic routine consists of applying Cetaphil moisturizer to my face and clear Neutrogena chapstick. Not lip gloss, just chaptsick. I kiss my babies too often to put any pigment on my lips, but my cute little makeup kit will be fun to play with when I have a big date with a handsome contractor :)

1 comment:

Briana nanimom@outlook.com said...

Very cute shoes. The heels look nice and stable. I'll have to try them on sometime.