Wednesday, March 19, 2008

How I Do Taxes

Nannying being my only career, I've never bothered paying taxes. So every year when tax season roles around, Aaron gets a little stressed and I have no clue what's going on. One of my fears if Aaron ever died(besides losing my husband, my best friend and the father of my children) is that I'd have to figure out how to pay taxes on my own. So Monday night when Aaron asked me to help him with the taxes I did: I made cocktails. I figured we should each focus on our individual specialties. In years past I've assisted with the actual tax paying process by sorting Aaron's files and receipts and doing a lot of adding, activities that Matteas was not terribly excited about letting me do this year. At 12:30 a.m. Matteas decided he wanted to be awake to keep Dad company, so we came out to the kitchen and found Aaron still hard at work over the taxes. I expressed my appreciation and support by making some fabulous buttermilk pancakes from scratch. It was a recipe I've never tried before and they were(to blatantly toot my own horn) fabulous. They were incredibly fluffy but still had a nice chewiness to them, and the tang of the buttermilk was a perfect complement to the dark coffee notes in the real maple syrup. I have recently discovered to my shock that I am a complete sucker for a beautiful package. Actually, that's partially a lie; I've always known that about myself, I've just been indulging it a lot lately. But QFC keeps having sales on Celestial Seasonings, so thus far it's a fairly economical addiction. And I really do drink the tea, I don't just buy it and let it sit there. I drink so much tea that I've had to expand my caffeine-free selection so I'm not tweaking out by the end of the day. Plus Jack really likes to have tea parties together, and the boy does not need stimulants.

No comments: