Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jack Bites

It is 8:15 at night, and the phone rings. I check the caller ID and see that it is the pesky bank again, looking for Damien. Aaron and I have informed them no less than six times that Damien no longer lives with us, so please stop calling. I decide to let Jack answer the phone, and it went a little something like this... Jack: "Hi! *pause* I said, HI!" *banker talks* "This is Jack. *banker talks* "Yeah, but you can't talk to them. *banker talks* "I have a dinosaur; he says 'Rooooooaaaarrr!!!' *banker talks* "I have a dinosaur I said! Raaaaaarrrrrgggh!!! *banker talks* "Goodbye!" At Central Market, we stopped in the fruit section to get some bananas. Jack spied some ridiculously cute miniature bananas which were three times the price of the regular ones, but he was so enamored with them that I decided to let him have just one. I pulled one off a bunch, but it in a bag and let Jack hold it in the cart. He was positively wriggling with delight. "Mom, it matches Matteas!" "How does it match Matteas(who, as far as I could see, bore no resemblance to the banana)?" "Because it's SMALL!" Jack often likes to watch me give Matteas a bath, and sometimes if he's very gentle I let him help. Thursday night we were doing our bath routine, admiring how chubby Matteas looks naked. Jack reached for the baby soap and said "I'm gonna help wash Matteas Mom; I'm very insistent." "Insistent? Really? Where did you learn that word?" "Um, Weggie tales." Jack, making a dinosaur run across the shelf, knock down a copy of My Imitation of Christ. "Jack, please pick that up. We don't leave books on the floor, especially not books about Jesus." "But Mom, why did Jesus leave His book here?" Bedtime. I tuck Jack in, making sure he has his special snuggly blanket. We say bedtime prayers, making sure we ask God to bless Grandma and Grandpa as well as the usual litany of people special to Jack. I kiss him goodnight, then give him a little squeeze. "Jack, I love you so much." "And I love YOU so freaking much!"

No comments: