Thursday, January 24, 2008

Central Market

A favorite activity for me and Jack is shopping at Central Market. We have a QFC two blocks away, but it's just not that thrilling. Besides, Central Market has little shopping carts. Jack had a tricky time navigating sometimes, but on the way home he assured me that whenever he crashed into someone, he remembered to say "Excuse me." However thrilling your own Me-Sized shopping cart may be, Jack finds that the crustaceans are best viewed from the safety of Mom's cart. Everything at Central Market is beautiful, even the seafood. Shopping there is always an Event, something more exciting than merely buying groceries. I find I have to resist the urge to buy things that I really don't want or need, just because they look so pretty.
Things like golden trout.
And beets.
Pears I do actually buy, but I appreciate the display anyway.
Mmmm, leeks....so many possibilities.
I wasn't sure it was possible, but I think I'm even more excited about food now than ever. I've noticed that my metabolism has changed a lot since having kids, and I'm much more sensitive to swings in blood sugar than I used to be. I think is also, as I've noticed on days when he doesn't eat a lot of protein or fat that he seems crankier than usual. Aaron and I have been talking about eating healthier, and I've been strategizing; any excuse to think about food more. I'm pretty excited about some of my finds. Al introduced me to Barilla Plus pasta, which is made with bean flour so it's higher in protein and lower in starch. Texture-wise it's a little different, not as chewy, but the flavor is fine. Especially when it's covered in sauce. Last night's sauce was an Ode to Anna, made of 100% grass-fed beef and organic tomatoes. I used to hassle Anna(lovingly, of course) about her diet, especially the sprouted wheat bread; I'm now eating my words(and sprouted wheat bread) and haven't been feeling nauseated anymore. We were pretty healthy eaters to begin with, but by removing some of the simple carbohydrates in our diet we've gotten even healthier. I should clarify that by "healthy" I mean "a balance of protein, fat, and healthy carbohydrates, and no processed foods." Meaning, you will still find plenty of butter in my fridge. Saturated fats yes, trans fats no. Alas, there are some carbohydrates in my life I absolutely cannot give up, like croutons. They're no good made of whole wheat, but we don't eat them very often so I'm not going to stress about it.

No comments: