Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Just For Fun

This is one of my favorite pictures of Aaron and Jack. I love how much like himself Jack looks as opposed to that generic newborn look, and he's only a few days old in this picture. What I love most about this picture is the expression on Aaron's face; he is totally in love with his baby and it shows. Aaron used to tease me about doing "baby talk" with Jack, but I'm pretty sure there was some baby talk going on here.
Jack got really jaundiced when he was four days old and we had to stay an extra night in the hospital so he could go under the lights; I would go into the nursery every few hours to feed him the milk I'd pumped and cry, he looked so pitiful wearing nothing but a diaper and a too-large blindfold. There was a very sweet nurse on duty in the nursery that night, and one time as I stood there touching Jack with one finger and sobbing she came over to console me. "I know it's hard, but just remember that there's nothing seriously wrong with him and he'll be out of there soon; he has a minor problem that's totally fixable." I knew that, but I cried a lot anyway. The next day when we got to go home it was really warm for early March, so I took off his clothes and put him in the sunshine. After a few days of sunbathing his jaundice cleared up completely(thanks Mom!) and we were able to avoid going back to the hospital for more photo therapy. I've been feeling really nostalgic the past few days; the sleep deprivation has been triggering the memories I think, although I'm much better rested with this baby than I was with Jack thanks to nursing instead of pumping. I've been really weepy over how defenseless tiny babies are, and how quickly they go from being helpless to self-sufficient. Just yesterday Jack wanted a snack and I was sitting on the couch nursing Matteas, so Jack got himself a bowl, went into the kitchen, opened the snack cupboard, got out the bag of fishy crackers and poured them into his bowl, cleaned up the strays off the floor, put the crackers back and closed the cupboard. Then he brought his bowl of fishy crackers out to the living room and informed me that he had made a mess but it was all clean now. I feel kind of sad for Jack that he is having to learn to meet his own needs, but on the other hand I'm really impressed with how capable he is.

No comments: