Monday, July 2, 2007

When the Going Gets Tough, the Cooking Gets Fatty

This is the beautiful iced Mocha I made for Aaron the other day to make up for being so moody. The strawberries my mother-in-law sent over from a farmer's market; they were incredible. This is me salvaging(eating off the floor) one of the individual tiramisu's I dumped out of the fridge onto the floor, after very sternly warning Aaron to be gentle when opening the fridge so he wouldn't accidentally dump out one of my perfect little desserts. Even off the floor it was still delicious.
The survivor.
I think my iron must be low because red meat, which I usually love, absolutely repulsed me for the first six months of this pregnancy but in the past few weeks I've been craving it. After a particularly rough week, Aaron took Jack to his mom's house and we stayed home and made dinner together. Aaron made me this perfectly-grilled steak and I make baked potatoes with a mushroom, onion, cognac and cream sauce. To balance out the richness of the meat and the sauce we also had some salad made of home-grown lettuce. Aaron teased me that I'd promised to make healthier meals for us, but I said "This is not a meal for your cholesterol; this is a meal for your soul." It was a pretty spiritual experience, that steak and that sauce. This was actually a very healthy meal. The night Anna and I got food poisoning I'd had sole at Il Fornaio, and even though it made me sick it was still delicious. I tried recreating it at home with pretty near-perfect success; I cooked it in butter, shallots, white wine and thyme. The salad was a Momentous Occasion: it was the first salad we made from the lettuce we grew in our garden. I made a creamy lemon shallot vinaigrette in the blender which totally overpowered the delicate sole, but if you ate them totally separately they were each individually exquisite. It's a miracle I've only gained 12 pounds.

No comments: