Saturday, July 7, 2007

It's hard to believe that our little garden has gone from this to this in just a month. The tomatoes are taller than Jack. The cucumber vine even has lovely curly tendrils that I think are rather picturesque. So far we've only eaten lettuce out of our garden, but all of the tomatoes and the cucumber have blossoms and should be producing something edible soon. The garden is one of the things I'm going to be sad to leave behind when we move, but there are lots of things I'm excited about not having to deal with anymore, like the mysterious dank smell that the kitchen sink emits at random times and the burnt-orange shag carpet on the stairs. It's going to be so cool to OWN something and be able to do whatever we want to it. I bought a sink today off of Craig's list to replace the ugly stock stainless steel one that's in our new house right now. It's a white cast-iron Kohler sink that came with a really pretty polished chrome faucet with detachable spray head and matching soap dispenser; I'd been watching the listings for sinks for three days, and called fifteen minutes after this one was posted. I'd seen other sinks I kind of liked for around $100 but none of them came with a faucet; this one was listed for $50 including the faucet. I checked Home Depot and the model I bought retails for about $270 and the faucet is another $230, so I got $500 worth of sink for $50. I did have to drive all the way to Federal Way to get it, but it took me just shy of two hours round-trip and I have something that I'm really happy with to put in our new house. I have sort of an addiction to Craig's list now. We've bought things using Craig's list before, but now that we have a house of our own that we can make alterations to there are so many more possibilities. It's especially fun to look at what people are giving away for free and then compare those listings to the ones people are trying to charge money for. Lots of people actually give away perfectly nice kitchen sinks, but most of them don't come with faucets. My next hunt is going to be for a hutch for the kitchen since it doesn't have a lot of cupboard space or a pantry, one thing our Brier house had lots of. We had an inspection done on our new house Thursday afternoon and signed off on it that night, so that's one less thing to worry about. Megan(our agent) said that everything was flying through with no problem, so as long as things continue to go well we get the keys in 23 days. I've started packing in small batches and am trying to think of the best way to do things before getting too involved. We decided to get a storage unit for one month so we can pack things and unpack things at a more relaxed pace and I think doing one room at a time will help me focus and not get overwhelmed. If anyone has any really good moving tips or horror stories, please share.

No comments: