Monday, July 5, 2010

Fireworks

It never fails to amuse me, the way the Fourth of July turns grown men into giggling children. I'm not sure who had a better time: the kids watching the fireworks, or the men-turned-boys who were lighting them off. A family favorite are always the paratroopers- there's something kind of magical about seeing a little plastic Army guy come sailing gently out of the sky attached to a patriotically colored parachute. The boys love trying to catch them as they fall, then we cut the strings off the Army guys and they play with them for weeks.
I love how much power Matteas brings to his Pop-Its game. So focused.
We had an Asian-influenced meal which felt kind of odd to me, so I balanced it out with something ultra-American: strawberry-rhubarb pie. I've only attempted pie crust from scratch a few times and it never goes well, but I really wanted Jack to have pie that he could eat which meant making it myself, or paying $8 for a wheat-free crust from PCC. Spelt flour makes for a slightly crunchier crust than traditional wheat flour, but it was still satisfyingly flaky. Totally worth it.
It is amazing to me how different our two boys are. Jack was terribly afraid of all fireworks- even sparklers- until last year. Last year he consented to sit outside to watch, but declined to hold even one single sparkler. Meanwhile, Matteas couldn't get enough firepower. Every time the boys lit off something big and loud, Matteas would sing "Wheeeee!" the whole time and as soon as it was over he'd grin and say "Let's do ANOTHER one!"
Poor Jack got a migraine and nearly missed the show altogether. I convinced him to fall asleep for a bit and promised I'd wake him up for fireworks. I'm so glad he did, because he woke up pain-free and with a ravenous appetite. After lots of good food and putting on several layers of warmth, he was ready to go. I think it was the best Fourth ever. Including the one on my brother's boat seven years ago when Aaron kissed me during the fireworks.
I love Jack's lips. He's holding a sparkler in each hand, adding "double-fisting" to the growing list of things he's no longer afraid of.
Even though it came out blurry, I love this picture of Matteas. Poor baby is still kind of sick(it's 11:00 a.m. and he's still sleeping) but with a little help from Motrin he powered through the festivities like a champ. He's had a fever and a stuffy nose for the last three days. Saturday night he slept for 14 hours. Hopefully he's on the upswing now.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

OH I totally do not get the firecrackers and grown men giddiness either. I suspect there is a lack of manly-related activities going on in society any more so blowing stuff up attracts them like flies. It just scares me. So I'm glad there are another 350 days or so until the next 4th of July!