Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Coziest Day

We went to Sky Nursery today and picked out some plants and flowers for the front yard, which I have steadily been denuding of dandelions, sickly rose bushes and leggy plants. Also gross plastic liner under the beauty bark designed to keep weeds out but which only succeeded in peeking through the beauty bark and looking really tacky. It's raining now so I haven't put the new plants in, but I'll post pictures when I do. The fish are from the pond at Sky; I've always wanted to have a fish pond in my garden, but I don't think the boys are at a good age for such a thing. Matteas tends to be over-confident in his abilities when it comes to water.
Yesterday as I was pulling up dandelions in the front lawn and Aaron was washing his work van in the driveway, he waved me quietly over to the driveway and pointed to the open garage. Out crept this little rat, looking for water. He carefully sniffed the stream of soapy water running down the driveway and scampered further and further upwards until he found the hose, then drank the fresh water. I grabbed a flower pot and scooped him into a plastic bin Aaron brought me and we gave him some food and water. Jack and I wanted to keep him, but I was nervous about him biting the boys(Matteas LOVED him and tried to jump out of my arms and into the bin) so I ended up releasing him into the woods after Jack was in bed. He was awfully cute though, tiny and delicate with a nice pink tail and not a gross, giant scaly tail like big rats. I used to not be into animals much, but after having babies I have a deepened sense of awe for any and all live creatures.
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all.
-C. F. Alexander

No comments: