Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Domestic What?

Aaron brought these roses home for me the other day. I was at Anna's having girl time and when I came home very late I found this bouquet waiting for me on the kitchen table, trimmed and in a vase. I feel like I should rename my blog; I think the title I gave it was more out of hope and vision than actual reality, at least that's how it feels sometimes. I think something like 'Domestic Roller coaster" would be more accurate. I haven't blogged much at all this month because things have been so crazy, mostly involving germs. Jack was more ill than he's ever been a few weeks back and literally all I could do was hold him. He had a fever of 104, a sinus infection, diarrhea and a staph infection. Then the antibiotics made him gag so he threw up a few times as well, and his rash from the diarrhea was so bad that I had to abandon diaper wipes and put him in a warm bath every time he pooped, which was about six times a day. We got through it though, and it was a good albeit painful lesson in learning how to be there for my sick baby when I couldn't really do much to make him feel better. It made me realize what a waste of time and energy worrying is. While it's impossible not to get anxious when your baby is sick, I realize it does absolutely no good. What did help Jack was to have his Mama be calm and confident and reassure him that while he felt awful at the moment, I knew he was going to get better. I'm also very grateful for my healthy, messy, energetic toddler. Perspective makes such a difference. I was grateful for Jack before he got sick, but it's so easy to take health for granted. I'm enjoying the opportunity to revel in the chaos and craziness of ordinary life, which most days is anything but. Now that Jack is back to his wonderfully-intense self, we've been able to do some of the things we normally do, like go out in public. Yesterday Aaron had a few business meetings in the morning and then was free the rest of the day, so for lunch we took Jack to the Central Market in Mill Creek to play on the tractor and check out the lobster tanks. The seafood guy behind the counter offered to hold a lobster for Jack and let him touch it, but Jack politely declined. He was brave enough to touch one of the clams, but the lobster will have to wait. We got to see our baby last week. Dr. Burdick found the heartbeat but couldn't hold it long enough for Aaron and I to hear, so we got to watch it instead. She had a little tiny ultrasound screen that was pretty small and pretty blurry, but accurate enough to see that this baby is quite a mover and a shaker. It's still too early to tell if this baby's a boy or a girl, but either way this kid is ACTIVE. Dr. Burdick said the baby moves like a Mexican jumping bean. Aaron keeps trying to feel the baby move, but I keep telling him that if I can't feel it yet neither can he. I find myself hoping for a girl, but so far I have successfully resisted the urge to buy anything pink. I'm sure I won't have to anyway, Aaron's mom always wanted a girl and she got three boys and one grandson, so if anything I'd have to buy pants and trucks and dirt to balance out the abundance of girly things which would surely be forthcoming. If Irina's theory of the timing of conception is correct, there's a good chance Jack will have a little sister in the fall.

No comments: