Sunday, May 2, 2010

When I Wasn't Busy Vomiting...

In spite of the fact that I was under the weather for the majority of our trip, we did manage to pack a lot in. Our first night in Long Beach we grilled cheeseburgers for dinner, then headed to the beach.
Matteast, meet the Pacific Ocean.
Aaron and Jack played a game where they'd walk out as far as they could into the surf, then run screaming(Jack did most of this) back toward shore when a big wave rolled in. I don't think Jack would have gone for this six months ago. He struggles with fear, but in the last year I've been blown away by how hard he works to, as he puts it, "choose courage."
After a particularly jubilant(read: lots of screaming) escape from a wave, they'd give each other knuckles. It was a casual gesture, but it kind of gave me goosebumps to see it because it marks the beginning of a new trend in Jack's relationship with is dad: one in which they can mutually acknowledge the other's manhood. I know he's only five, but every day Jack's desire to be more like his dad grows. It's the reason he wakes up at the crack of dawn every freaking day; "I'd sleep in Mom, but I have to see Dad in the morning."
After the sun went down it got a little chilly, so I loaned Matteas my hat.
Every day, Matteas would put on his boots and in spite of what else he was or was not wearing, declare himself ready to go to the beach.
Jack has been obsessed with Orcas lately. He drew one in the sand with his foot.
The boys shared a queen sized bed. It mostly worked out.
Here we see Jack discovering the "air pockets in my swim trunks" phenomenon. He thought the way the bubbles augmented the appearance of his own anatomy was absolutely fabulous.
"Matteas, look at my huge penis!!!" Gotta love boys. Which, luckily, I do.
I love this picture; it captures so well Matteas's exuberant little spirit.

1 comment:

Briana nanimom@outlook.com said...

Well, the pictures look like you had a lovely time. At least the boys- all three- looked like it. Are you planning a repeat trip, sans barfing?