Wednesday, May 19, 2010

These Are the Days...

...when the evening is warm enough to eat dinner outside with friends...
...when the stove takes a back seat to the grill...
...when shoes are an afterthought or not even a thought at all...
...when half a watermelon is a legitimate lunch...
...when all growing things are coming to life and making their way into Spring. We spend more time outdoors than in, the boys lugging watering cans around to "help" with the watering of our ever-expanding garden, sitting on our picnic blanket with a cool glass of lemonade, watching the chickens hunt for bugs, and generally doing their best to get as filthy as they possibly can before bed. I have been reveling in the simplicity and fullness of our days; putting the boys to bed each night after a good scrub in the bath; watching two brothers become best friends; being amazed anew at the way seeds+dirt+water+sunshine=food; looking up from my work in the garden, feeling my hands in the soil and the sun on my face, seeing the boys running around the yard with the chickens, hearing Aaron's work van pull into the driveway just before dinner and thinking to myself, this is the life.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

Now if only the summer weather will grace us with it's presence again. And for a longer stretch this time. I need it to be summer until I am ready for fall. But I'm certainly almost fed up with spring (and it's wetness anyway :)

P.S.
Watermelon prices need to drop!