Saturday, December 19, 2009

Getting There

I can't believe Christmas is in six days; I know this happens every year, but I was really hoping to savor Advent a little better than I have. Thankfully it's not too late, and I plan on wringing every last moment of waiting out of the next six days. There are practically endless opportunities for baking, crafting, wrapping, card-writing and cleaning that come with Christmas preparations. So naturally I decided it would be a good time to make new curtains for the kitchen window. Yesterday, Aaron's mom took the boys for the whole afternoon and I cleaned like a maniac. It was so great to be able to work on a project from start to finish and not get interrupted 50 times to make a snack, change a diaper, settle a fight, read a story...I did the deep-down dirty stuff like washing the drapes, scrubbing the entry-way floor, bleaching the toilet, so I now I can relax and do thinks like make paper snowflake garlands with Jack. At the end of my cleaning frenzy I drove over to pick up the boys and ate my mother-in-law's lasagna, which is a feat of meaty, saucy, cheesy glory, and I didn't have to mess up my perfect kitchen to enjoy it. It was the perfect comfort food at the end of a really productive day. I keep a big basket of books in the coffee table in the living room. When we have library books they stay in this basket so they don't get mixed in with books we own, but for now it's filled with Christmas books. The boys never get tired of hearing them, and I never get tired of reading them. And now, back to my snowflake garlands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the new curtains, and your living room looks fantastic in that photo! Hurray for undisturbed cleaning. :)