Monday, August 17, 2009

With Good Reason

I was reprimanded the other day by my father-in-law for not updating my blog "in 60 thousand years;" can you tell that man is into his grandkids? August has been busy. Kayleigh came to visit, so while she was here I pretty much cleared my priority list to see her as often as possible. We had a lot of talking to do about life, a lot of food to eat and a lot of coffee drink.
Also, we had to remove our old living room window... Which involved carrying some ridiculously heavy glass... And then installing the beautiful new window. Damien did most of the dirty work, but we lent our muscle where it was needed. We are Women of Ability.
Naturally, in the midst of all that construction, we thought it was a good day to throw a dinner party. So we did. The Bernhofts were in town, a family without whom I never would have met my husband or some of the most Interesting People in the World. If you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't met the Bernhofts.
We feasted. Afterward, we reclined. Some of us felt the need for a nap. Andrew and Matteas formed a very special bond during their brief encounter. Matteas was a little shy of Andrew at first, and Andrew was a little suspicious of Matteas at first, but I sat on the couch next to Andrew with Matteas in my lap and told Matteas, "Andrew's nice; he likes babies." After that, any time Matteas saw Andrew he would point at him and say "baby." Andrew mostly kept to himself, but shortly before he left he saw Matteas standing in front of the love seat where Andrew was sitting. Andrew leaned forward and scooped Matteas into his lap, where a long hug and a little kiss were exchanged. The next day we all met up at the park, where Andrew and Matteas sat side-by-side on the swings. Matteas gave a running stream of updates to his swinging progress to Andrew, all of which he ended with "Okay, Andrew?" Their last day in town, the Bernhofts came over for brunch. As we were saying our goodbyes, Matteas leaned out from my arms and planted a juicy kiss on Andrew's cheek. Andrew was so overcome he fell back dramatically onto the couch, grinning from ear to ear.

No comments: