Saturday, April 4, 2009

Meant to Be

One of my favorite things to do at the library is buy used books. A few months ago the library started selling books donated by patrons as a way to raise more money, and I think it's a great idea. I'd been looking for some books about sewing and gardening, and didn't like anything I found on the lending shelves. Then I checked out the "Books for Sale" shelves and hit the jackpot. These pages are from the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, which is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't have this book in mind when I went to the library, but I tried reading a pattern recently and thought "pictures would be nice." I'm a very visual person, and can learn just about anything if I watch someone else do it first. I have great hopes for this book and its role in advancing my clothes-designing ambitions. This little book is hilarious. It has some useful tips on stain removal and tricks for ironing odd bits of clothing, but I mostly bought it for fun as the content is pretty dated. One of the piece of advice for traveling was to use a small plastic salt-shaker with a snap-on lid to take your bath powder along. Honestly, who still uses bath powder? What is bath powder? Stuff you literally put in the bath? A polite, olde fashioned term for deodorant? For fifty cents, I decided it was worth solving the mystery. Jack's cold seems to have taken a turn for the worse today, so we are hunkered down with blankets, tea, and our library treasures. I'm feeling a bit head-coldish today myself, so I don't mind the slow pace one bit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh, you got Rodale's Organic Gardening? That's a well known one.