Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter 2010

We continued our Easter tradition of going to Whidbey Island with my cousin Kayleigh's family. A good time was had by all, despite a brief power outage which occurred just before putting dinner into the oven. Luckily we were having fish, so Aaron started the grill and we lit some candles and all was not lost. For the boys' baskets this year I tried a new project: felted wool eggs. I'm in love. Aaron doesn't find them quite as charming as I do, but Kayleigh liked them so much that she asked me if she could have the green one. Of course I said yes. I experimented with little treasures to go in the eggs, but in the end I decided the miniature rubber duck was more satisfying. Jack and Matteas were quite appreciative of their mama's crafty efforts. I got the instructions here and they worked perfectly, though I took the added step of tossing the eggs into a hot dryer. And then we had an egg hunt in the wind. No one seemed to mind although it did result in some eggs finding rather unusual hiding spots, having been blown way off course by surprise. I'm a huge fan of Jack's budding fashion sense. It's really more about practicality than anything else; if he wears pants or long sleeves, he complains that he's too hot. Also, he is constantly losing his socks so the boots come in handy a lot. I know I know, we're quickly becoming "that" homeschool family(next fall, anyway): organic vegetables, homemade hummus, chicks in the house and galoshes on the kids. We're going to do our best to stay hip. Matteas doesn't really remember Easter eggs from last year. Once he got wise to the fact that they were filled with candy, he quickly decided he was more than content with the eggs that were already in his basket and abandoned the field of possibility in favor of a Sure Thing. I put most of their candy away for later, but allowed them each a few small pieces. As always, I deeply regretted it. Sugar is like poison for Jack, and he quickly transforms into a completely different child than his usual self. Things got ugly. There were tears and, thankfully, an early bedtime. Next year I'll get more creative with the egg filling and avoid the jelly beans and the sugar crash. Now I must away to my filthy house which I'm trying to resurrect in time for a dinner party Friday night, and crossing my fingers that no one catches the stomach flu we were exposed to yesterday.

1 comment:

Briana nanimom@outlook.com said...

Oh yeah, about Friday. I think our invitation got lost in the mail. do I need one to get in, or should we just show up. Wait. You didn't say what you'remaking, if you could just send that along with evite, that woud be great!