Monday, February 2, 2009

And We're Back

Poor Grandpa Tom is probably suffering horrible withdrawals from the lack of grandbaby pictures, but there is an explanation. Several, in fact. First, the boys had awful colds starting about two weeks ago. Jack got it first, and on the worst day he woke us up at 4:30 in the morning to tell us that his body hurt all over and that "I hate being all sweaty." We put him in bed with us, gave him Motrin and eventually we all got a little sleep, but I've been feeling a little like I have a newborn baby what with the middle-of-the-night parenting and lack of sleep. Matteas came down with the cold about four days after Jack, and had it for longer. There were several feverish nights when even Motrin and the comfort of Mama's arms weren't very comforting. To cope, we had lots of tea parties. The weather outside was awful so we couldn't go outside anyway, but it made the feeling of being couped up worse. I had to let the boys do whatever I was doing in order to get anything done, and it was slow going. To celebrate our recent wellness, on Saturday we went on a family hike. Matteas kept putting his hand out to pet the back of Daddy's head. It was 2 1/2 miles roundtrip which isn't a big deal for me and Aaron, but I was really impressed that Jack made it the whole way. Especially because about three days earlier, I took them both on the same hike by myself. It's a great trail near our house that goes down to a lovely beach, so you get to look at different kinds of terrain. It's hikes like this that make me so glad I live in the Northwest, and convinced that I couldn't be happy living anywhere else long-term.
And just because they're cute, two random pictures.
The other reason I haven't posted in weeks is because my memory card threw a fit and refused to surrender any of its pictures. I tried and tried, but to no avail. Aaron eventually succeeded in eeking a few pictures out of it by downloading a few at at time, but there were over 1,000 pictures on the card and I wasn't prepared for that kind of time investment. This morning I left the boys with Madeleine and took the rebellious memory card to the mall, where I met a heroic man at the camera store who recovered all but three of my pictures. He did this by doing some tricky things on his own personal laptop, above and beyond the standard camera store experience. I'm going to write a letter to his manager and suggest he be given a raise, extra paid vacation, and whatever sort of gold medal they have for remarkable employees. He also gave me instructions on how to treat my memory card with more respect(it had nothing to do with how many pictures were on it) to avoid future mutinous behavior. He also pointed out that my camera's resolution was set unusually low(hmm, I wonder how that could have happened?), so all in all it was a very useful and productive experience. Kind of embarrassing considering the fact that I took photography in college, but not with this camera. So I should be posting again soon, complete with great pictures.

No comments: