Thursday, August 21, 2008

August Jack

Apparently, Jack couldn't find his own camera the other day. He has been particularly enamored with this wooden tow truck I bought him and had to take a few pictures of it. 17 of them, actually. This is really a post unto itself. Jack has discovered running, and it may have just changed his life. And mine. The other day I was going for a run, and Jack, heartbroken at being left behind, insisted on coming with me. I put on his little Target shoes and let him come with me, thinking he would tire out in ten minutes and I could bring him home and then go on my own run. Apparently I don't know my son very well. He ran and ran and ran, at top speed, careening through the forest like a human comet. When I finally told him it was time to go home(after about 40 minutes) he cried. The next day we went out and bought him these tiny Nikes. On our next run, it occurred to me that running with Jack was a good metaphor for how I try to parent him: Aaron and I give him the tools he needs to do his best, then we let him choose the path and follow along beside him to help him up when he falls down. Every time we came to a break in the path, Jack would carefully weigh the options then choose the path that looked more difficult. He didn't agonize about it, just took a few seconds to consider the possibilities and then he'd go shooting off again. I made a few suggestions here and there(such as the fact that I thought it would not be a good choice to run head-long into a patch of nettles), but ultimately I let him choose the way. He had a great time, and occasionally between huffing and puffing he'd look at me and say, "This is a good run, Mom. I love you." I can't wait until Fall when the woods will be covered in leaves, making our runs together even more glorious. Throwing sticks into the water; an essential part of being a boy in the summertime. Building sand castles with good friends is the perfect way to spend a hot summer evening. Jack got himself dressed. It was too hot for pants, but just right for rain boots and ear muffs. We went to A Taste of Edmonds this year, and everyone had a fabulous time. They had several different bouncers set up for kids and I bought Jack a few tickets, thinking he'd be too shy try them out. He had such a great time that I had to go back and buy him more tickets so he could repeat his favorites. We also introduced Jack to elephant ears. After his first bite of hot fried dough covered in cinnamon and sugar, he fell silent and didn't say a word until every last bit was gone and he'd licked the remains from his fingers. "That was good," he breathed.

No comments: