Thursday, October 4, 2007

Snakes and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails...

I'm so sad this picture came out fuzzy because his face looks so cute; he was reading the paper in bed with Aaron.
There were some shocking headlines.
There has been a lot of soup in our lives lately, due partially to the cozy fall weather and largely to my obsession with the Barefoot Contessa. I used to watch Rachel Ray's show a lot because when Jack was a baby and Aaron worked late it made me feel better to know that somebody somewhere was making dinner, and it certainly wasn't me. But lately I've realized: I don't cook any of her food. So my new culinary crush is Ina Garten. I like her cooking style, and there's something about Ina's voice that seems very maternal and reassuring so that no matter how complicated a recipe is her soothing vocal tones calm you into thinking you can cook it too. The above Mexican Chicken Soup wasn't complicated at all, but it was extremely delicious. Aaron has discovered lately that one of his favorite spices is cumin, and there's lots of it in this soup. I also made another soup of Ina's this week of which there are no pictures, but it was really good. It was Cream of Wild Mushroom soup and it was really easy and fun to make, and also really good. It's hard to put a cube of butter, a cup of half and half and a cup of heavy cream in anything and have it turn out gross. You can search for both recipes at Foodnetwork.com.
Every Wednesday the library has a kids' program where they read stories, play games and make a craft, and Sonia has been taking Jack every week. Each week has a theme; the first week was bears, the second week was trains and yesterday was puppy dogs. Jack wanted to wear his ears at dinner; his tongue is out because he's panting like a dog.

No comments: